Chronic Kidney Disease Treatment
Chronic Kidney Disease, or CKD or Chronic Kidney Failure, is the gradual process of kidney failure and loss of renal function over time. Kidneys are among the most vital parts of our body as they are responsible for filtering out all the toxic wastes, electrolytes and excess fluids from the body via blood for removal through urine. Advanced chronic kidney disease can result in a build-up of dangerous amounts of fluids, electrolytes and wastes in the body.
As the process is gradual, symptoms build over time and go from mild to severe. Many people do not realise that they have renal dysfunction until it is too late. In mild to moderate cases, nephrologists often focus treatment on stopping the progression of the disease, while for severe cases, kidney transplants are the only viable long-term treatment options.
Common causes associated with Chronic Kidney Disease are:
- Type 1 or type 2 diabetes.
- High blood pressure.
- Glomerulonephritis, i.e. an inflammation of the kidney's filtering units (glomeruli).
- Interstitial nephritis, i.e. an inflammation of the kidney's filtration tubules and their surrounding structures.
- Prolonged obstruction of the urinary tract.
- Polycystic kidney disease.
- Vesicoureteral reflux.
- Recurrent kidney infection also called pyelonephritis.
Symptoms associated with Chronic Kidney Disease are:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Weakness, loss of appetite
- Tiredness, weakness and decreased mental acuity
- Less or no urination
- Muscle cramps with swelling of extremities like feet and ankles
- Dry and itchy skin
- Chest pain and difficulty in breathing due to fluid build up in lungs
The treatment for chronic kidney disease mainly focuses on stopping the progression of the disease and managing the current symptoms. The first step adopted by many doctors is to treat the underlying condition responsible for kidney failure. This can include managing their diabetes, blood pressure, blood cholesterol level, anaemia, inflammation, etc.
At SS Kidney Hospital, we are completely geared up to take care of Chronic Kidney Disease patients and ensure that they have a healthy and prolonged lifespan. Contact us if you are looking for chronic kidney disease treatment in Rewari.